Having recently moved back to Fayetteville, I had no idea where to get the best cup ‘o joe. I had in my mind a quaint and quirky joint with just the right amount of espresso flavored air, indie art, and cushy chairs to sit in while enjoying a cup of coffee and some local flair. For me, where I consume my coffee goes hand-in-hand with where I do my reading and writing. And so, my hunt ensued.
My third stop?
RaeleighReads rating: 4 out of 5 coffee cups
Okay, this place definitely has some local flavor! When I entered Onyx I was greeted by the delightful twang of Ozarkian banjo music followed by the tuneful meanderings of a folk singer. It made me giggle. What a perfect accompaniment for a friendly establishment in the heart of Funky Fayetteville. And it is friendly! I was greeted with a big smile and a “how can I help you?” at the multi-colored wooden bar. Apparently customer service is not dead. Huge smiley face. Onyx boasts a simple menu of filtered coffee, espresso, a few specialty drinks, a few cold brewed coffees, and — get this — organic syrups!!! They also have some delightful looking pastries, yogurt, and a few bottled drinks. Oh, and BOXED water. If you’ve checked out my about page you know I’m a tree hugger. This place really speaks to that part of me.
- The coffee is good. It isn’t what I was expecting. The brew is light and beany (if that makes any sense). It’s nice, but it isn’t my favorite.
- I imagine coffee purists would love this place.
- Prices are on par with other places I’ve visited, but Onyx includes the tax in the list price so what you see is what you get. That’s really great!
- There is ample seating, including a nice collection of chairs and stools outside.
- Inside seating is community style (long tables with chairs or stools). There is even a stand up bar area. That’s pretty cool.
- I love the idea of a community coffee space, but from a writing stand point, this set-up is not ideal. It’s not terrible. There are plenty of outlets to plug my laptop into, but I usually create better when I have a secluded spot to write from.
- This place is busy! Holy moly — distraction central. But the coffee is good and the service is excellent, so it’s no wonder there is a steady stream of people in here.
- The music is perfect for this area. It feels local, historical, and, well, funky! (Fayetteville’s motto is “Keep Fayetteville Funky!”)
- I can definitely see myself coming here again, but I’ll probably order something other than black coffee.
- If you’re looking for local flavor, you’ll find it here! Also if you’re looking for a coffee experience that is a little more organic, or natural, this is your place.